Pages

Sunday 8 July 2012

Riviera Movie Cocktail

I have an unconditional love for the French Riviera and my heart skips a beat any time I see a picture of the Nice port, the Cap-Ferret coastline, the Monaco harbour or a gigantic cruise ship in the Villefranche bay. 
It makes me feel like an insider, spotting the places I know so well and brings back all those happy memories. 
Riviera - place spotting always cheers me up and what easier way to do it then to watch a movie that's set there (for the 1000st time.....)

Here are my all time favourites:

Priceless (Hors de Prix)

Audrey Tautou speaks French that I actually understand (I still have no clue what the Coco Avant Chanel is all about having seen it 3 times), and there are beautiful clothes and shoes too! There's a bit of Nice Chateau, a bit of the Gare, some Croisette and Hotel de Paris... 


To Catch a Thief

I think everyone can find something to love about this movie... first of all it's a Hitchcock one (which doesn't really matter to me, but I know many who would take me more seriously now), second of all Cary Grant.... I wish every men would be a little bit like him such a perfect Gentleman - and my all time fashion icon.
And then there is Princesse to be Grace with her amazing wardrobe...beautiful cars and beautiful scenery..and all that Moneguasqe Royal gossip on how she met the Prince when she was shooting this movie..
You can see how the Cours Saleya Flower market looked back in the fifties (not too much different then today!) and get a glimpse of the sandy beach of Cannes back in the day.
And you get a thrilling story if all this is not enough to keep you entertained!


An Affair to Remember

It's something you need to experience in order to understand, but on the Riviera somehow you feel like time slows down in a comforting and calming way. I bet everyone who has been to Villefranche took a photo of a ginormous cruiseship that was waiting around in the bay. Not much changed in the last 60 years, that's what you will see in this movie too. And some of the lovely hidden villages up in the mountains. Another movie with the amazing Cary Grant and some more fashion footage from the fifties.


Heartbraker

To sum up this movie all you need to think of if the title title pronounced with a very strong French accent. It's nothing serious but  most of it is set in Monaco which makes me watch it over and over again. And the French speaking English always lift my mood and makes me start speaking like them:)



Killers

Another chick-flick with only a tiny part of the movie set in Nice, but this one is special for me because they were shooting it when I was living in Nice and for a few days all the talk was about my friend who met Ashton Kutcher in Vieux Nice:)


This list is dedicated to all my dear friend from Nice because you are who I always think of when watching these movies! The list is nowhere near complete though, so you are all welcome to add to it:)


No comments:

Post a Comment